Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid structure interaction help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,
I still trying to model basic fluid structure interaction and keep getting different errors. I modeled an port from which fluid is coming out with a certain velocity. This fluid is coming in contact with another structure. I can't figure out why I keep getting the errors.
Thank you very much.

Error: 6169
Failed to evaluate operator
- Operator: mean
- Geometry: 1
- Dimension: 2
- Domains: {1,2,4,9,12}
Failed to evaluate variable
- Variable: FX_smsld
- Defined as: (((-lm7)*dvol_ale)/dvol)
Failed to evaluate variable
- Variable: FXg_smsld
- Defined as: FX_smsld
Failed to evaluate expression
- Expression: diff(((FXg_smsld*u_test-0)*dvol),u_test)

3 Replies Last Post Jun 21, 2010, 10:39 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 18, 2010, 3:01 p.m. EDT
I don't quite get what you're trying to do, but, you should know that comsol can not handle FSI cases in which you have a change in geometry (domains passing each other). So, usually fluid already encapsulates the structure and the fluid domain is a moving mesh (ALE).
I don't quite get what you're trying to do, but, you should know that comsol can not handle FSI cases in which you have a change in geometry (domains passing each other). So, usually fluid already encapsulates the structure and the fluid domain is a moving mesh (ALE).

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 20, 2010, 8:21 p.m. EDT
halo Danial

do u have any ideas about damping waves using a viscous layer in comsol i have read about that fro RICCI but i didnt get how :(....
I need to absorbe water waves on one side from my model

thanks alot
halo Danial do u have any ideas about damping waves using a viscous layer in comsol i have read about that fro RICCI but i didnt get how :(.... I need to absorbe water waves on one side from my model thanks alot

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 21, 2010, 10:39 a.m. EDT
Thank you Danial, that explains it. What I am trying to model is fluid coming out from a channel and then it comes in contact with a another structure, that is not in that fluid yet. For example water coming out of a hose and hitting a wall. Would you have any idea how I could model that in Comsol, without using the fluid-structure interaction module.
Again thank you very much!

Marina
Thank you Danial, that explains it. What I am trying to model is fluid coming out from a channel and then it comes in contact with a another structure, that is not in that fluid yet. For example water coming out of a hose and hitting a wall. Would you have any idea how I could model that in Comsol, without using the fluid-structure interaction module. Again thank you very much! Marina

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.