Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

cad solid works file to comsol 4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi
I don't know how to cad solid works file to comsol 4?
There isnt any option to import or cad file to comsol!
I used IGES or STEP but I don't know how to cad the them

6 Replies Last Post Oct 15, 2010, 9:58 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 21, 2010, 3:00 a.m. EDT
Hi

for linking CAD SolidWorks to COMSOL use rather parasolid "*.xt" files as these are the best for 3D (in 2D you are limited todxf nad that is not easy from Solidworks). But you have also the direct link in 3.5 and the "livelink" in 4 that allows you to link your two softwares without making intermediate files

Have fun Comoling
Ivar
Hi for linking CAD SolidWorks to COMSOL use rather parasolid "*.xt" files as these are the best for 3D (in 2D you are limited todxf nad that is not easy from Solidworks). But you have also the direct link in 3.5 and the "livelink" in 4 that allows you to link your two softwares without making intermediate files Have fun Comoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 12, 2010, 10:43 a.m. EDT
Import from parasolid "*.xt" files seem to work initially, but the program hangs as soon as I move on to the 'materials' section.
By the way -this is the same with the current 4.1 version....

Import from parasolid "*.xt" files seem to work initially, but the program hangs as soon as I move on to the 'materials' section. By the way -this is the same with the current 4.1 version....

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2010, 1:40 a.m. EDT
Hi

Then I have been happy so far as this has never happened to me, my XT ar so far always been read OK even in the new 4.1

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Then I have been happy so far as this has never happened to me, my XT ar so far always been read OK even in the new 4.1 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2010, 12:43 p.m. EDT
I did a bit more testing:

Importing a XT file (from Solidworks) causes no problem if this is the only geometry defined.
I can define materials etc in 4.1. - no issues.

However - if I create another geometry in addition to the imported one (e.g., a cylinder), the program consistently hangs as soon as I move on to the materials section.

Maybe you can check if you can reproduce the error (I attached the XT file I used - as simple helix)

Cheers,
Uli
I did a bit more testing: Importing a XT file (from Solidworks) causes no problem if this is the only geometry defined. I can define materials etc in 4.1. - no issues. However - if I create another geometry in addition to the imported one (e.g., a cylinder), the program consistently hangs as soon as I move on to the materials section. Maybe you can check if you can reproduce the error (I attached the XT file I used - as simple helix) Cheers, Uli

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2010, 5:53 p.m. EDT
Hi

have you tried to convert the imported to COMSOL first ? then you work surely in teh same environment. Will have to try in V4.1: to modify an imported parasolid.

If it is reapeatingly so, you should send a documented example to support

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to convert the imported to COMSOL first ? then you work surely in teh same environment. Will have to try in V4.1: to modify an imported parasolid. If it is reapeatingly so, you should send a documented example to support -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2010, 9:58 a.m. EDT
I did convert it to Comsol - same result.
As soon as I add another geometry and move on to materials the program hangs.

I will do as you suggested.
Thanks,
Uli
I did convert it to Comsol - same result. As soon as I add another geometry and move on to materials the program hangs. I will do as you suggested. Thanks, Uli

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.