Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to maintain symmetry with modesolver?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Through use of the RF module (2D Perpendicular-Hybrid-waves-Eigensolver mode) I am modeling a dual-waveguide which posesses symmetric and antisymmetric modes. However, when using comsol, I am finding even and odd modes which are asymmetric. In reality the eigenmodes are known to be perfectly symmetric/antisymmetric. I suspect that this is a result of meshing. Does anyone know how to:
1) Create perfectly symmetric meshes.
2) Create symmetry planes to force even or odd modes.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-p

3 Replies Last Post Nov 2, 2015, 1:54 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2010, 4:54 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have also been asking COMSOl to add a "mirror mesh" functionality, I have some issues in structural, pls ask them directly a as an improvement suggestion, the more we are the more chances that it get a "high priority status", the developpers are rather good to include such demands when thzey are correctly justified.

I mostly "split my geometry with interiour boundaries where I have symmetry planes, even cutting up larger parts into smaller ones and then emsh parts, and use the "copy mesh" on edgs and boundaries before I mesh the finl volume, this improves the symmetry

Hope this helps on the way
Ivar
Hi I have also been asking COMSOl to add a "mirror mesh" functionality, I have some issues in structural, pls ask them directly a as an improvement suggestion, the more we are the more chances that it get a "high priority status", the developpers are rather good to include such demands when thzey are correctly justified. I mostly "split my geometry with interiour boundaries where I have symmetry planes, even cutting up larger parts into smaller ones and then emsh parts, and use the "copy mesh" on edgs and boundaries before I mesh the finl volume, this improves the symmetry Hope this helps on the way Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 2, 2015, 11:43 a.m. EST
Hey Ivar

I read a lot of your discussions about symmetrical meshing. Do you know if they already built a "mirror mesh" operation? I only found "Copy Domain" and "Copy" in the mesh subnotes. But these two operations do not really solve the problem for mirroring a mesh.

Do you know anything new? Or do you still work with splitting the geometry and "copy mesh" on edges, etc...?

Best regards,
Christian
Hey Ivar I read a lot of your discussions about symmetrical meshing. Do you know if they already built a "mirror mesh" operation? I only found "Copy Domain" and "Copy" in the mesh subnotes. But these two operations do not really solve the problem for mirroring a mesh. Do you know anything new? Or do you still work with splitting the geometry and "copy mesh" on edges, etc...? Best regards, Christian

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 2, 2015, 1:54 p.m. EST
Hi

Normally if your part is symmetric the "copy mesh" will automatically detect this and make a symmetric copy hence you get your mirror operation, but I'm not sure if it's capable of a central symmetric mesh operation.

Try it out with a "sand case/toy-model"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally if your part is symmetric the "copy mesh" will automatically detect this and make a symmetric copy hence you get your mirror operation, but I'm not sure if it's capable of a central symmetric mesh operation. Try it out with a "sand case/toy-model" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.