How to make the 'Weak Inequality Constraint' converge as well as 'Contact' constraint in Solid Mechainc module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I try to understand the modeling of indentation.

For the spherical indenter, assuming frictionless hard contact, the 'Contact' constraint in Solid Mechaincs module converge much better than 'Weak Inequality Constraint' for the same other settings.

I may have to use the 'Weak Inequality Constraint' for my customerized constitutive relation in the future. So, I was wondering how to make the 'Weak Inequality Constraint' converge as well as 'Contact' constraint ?

In the 'Contact' constraint, I use a rigid sphere with the radius of ai as the indenter.

In comperison, the expression 'ai-sqrt((R+u)^2+(w-ai+hi*par)^2)' is employed as the Weak Inequality Constraint, where, R is the material coordinate, hi*par is the parameterized indentation depth, u and w is the displacements along R and Z axises.

In both examples, the 'Augmented Lagrangian' method is employed.

0 Replies Last Post Nov 12, 2023, 10:03 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello HC L

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.