Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of Near Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I hope that you fine! I would like know where I need to go to simulate the Near Field. I saw the webinar about simulations using Far Field. In this case, the option of Near Field it's locate on Magnetic and Eletric Fields or Eletromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain?

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Aug 23, 2023, 8:54 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 months ago Aug 23, 2023, 6:48 p.m. EDT
Updated: 8 months ago Aug 23, 2023, 6:49 p.m. EDT

I presume you are talking about electromagnetic fields? You can compute reactive near fields with either the AC/DC module or the RF module, via the directly computed local fields (computed using the finite-element method) within the meshed volume in/around your electromagnetic device of interest. If you want to compute the radiating near-fields, you can either: (1) try to expland your meshed computational volume far enough (sometimes possible), (2) employ Comsol's boundary-element formulation (which also sometimes works well), or (3) implement a near-field version of the Stratton-Chu aperture field integration method via custom post-processing. In regard to the 2nd approach, see https://www.comsol.com/model/fem-bem-coupling-of-a-microstrip-patch-antenna-102981 . In regard to implementing the 3rd approach, see https://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/672/ .

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I presume you are talking about electromagnetic fields? You can compute *reactive* near fields with either the AC/DC module or the RF module, via the directly computed local fields (computed using the finite-element method) within the meshed volume in/around your electromagnetic device of interest. If you want to compute the *radiating* near-fields, you can either: (1) try to expland your meshed computational volume far enough (sometimes possible), (2) employ Comsol's boundary-element formulation (which also sometimes works well), or (3) implement a near-field version of the Stratton-Chu aperture field integration method via custom post-processing. In regard to the 2nd approach, see https://www.comsol.com/model/fem-bem-coupling-of-a-microstrip-patch-antenna-102981 . In regard to implementing the 3rd approach, see https://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/672/ .

Posted: 8 months ago Aug 23, 2023, 8:54 p.m. EDT
Updated: 8 months ago Aug 23, 2023, 8:55 p.m. EDT

Yes, my project is about the eletromagnetic fields. Well, I'm going to focus in yours sugestion number 3. But I still some questions to continue my simulation with this method. 1_In the step 3, the surfaces that I select for integrate is the most external, like a limits? I didn't understand well this step. 2_Can I keep the conditions that were created about Perfect Eletric Condutor, Lumped Port, etc? 3_Can I obtain the Magnetic Field if I replace the expression "abs(ApInt(Epx))/sqrt(2)" or this simulation only generate Eletric Field?

Thank you very much!

Yes, my project is about the eletromagnetic fields. Well, I'm going to focus in yours sugestion number 3. But I still some questions to continue my simulation with this method. 1_In the step 3, the surfaces that I select for integrate is the most external, like a limits? I didn't understand well this step. 2_Can I keep the conditions that were created about Perfect Eletric Condutor, Lumped Port, etc? 3_Can I obtain the Magnetic Field if I replace the expression "abs(ApInt(Epx))/sqrt(2)" or this simulation only generate Eletric Field? Thank you very much!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.