Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[Solved] Selection Left Click

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello community,

I am faced with a strange problem. I just updated to Comsol 4.3 after using 4.2a for a long time. But it seems I can't left-click on an object to select it anymore.

I don't know whether it's a bug or a new feature... is there a new way to select a domain/boundary instead of the previous left-click ? Am I facing some bug?

13 Replies Last Post Nov 22, 2012, 3:02 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2012, 11:17 a.m. EDT

I haven't noticed anything like that when I upgraded from 4.2a to 4.3.

Cheers
Edgar
I haven't noticed anything like that when I upgraded from 4.2a to 4.3. Cheers Edgar

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2012, 11:23 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the answer.. waiting if someone experiences the same issue.
Thanks for the answer.. waiting if someone experiences the same issue.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 a.m. EDT
It's likely a graphics card problem. Try this: open COMSOL, go to Options>Preferences, select Graphics on the left and switch Rendering to Software, save your settings and restart the software.
It's likely a graphics card problem. Try this: open COMSOL, go to Options>Preferences, select Graphics on the left and switch Rendering to Software, save your settings and restart the software.

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2012, 12:07 p.m. EDT
Merci Jean-Francois.

That fixed the issue.

Merci Jean-Francois. That fixed the issue.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2012, 5:21 p.m. EDT
Same problem here! Just started using 4.3 (not 4.3a) on a brand new workstation (Dell Precision T7600, Quadro 4000 GPU). Can only select some faces, not others... it's like there's a bug with the left-click selection. This is on some simple geometry that started as an import from a STEP file, then some entities deleted, and then Boolean intersected with a cube. So not a terribly complicated 3D geometry.

Tried:

- Turn transparency off -- did nothing
- Change rendering from OpenGL to Direct3D -- still bad, can only select some faces
- Changed rendering to Software -- fixed. I can now select all faces.

This is unacceptable though, software rendering is horribly slow and we paid a lot of money for a Quadro 5000 workstation graphics card for use with professional software like Comsol Multiphysics!!

Does anyone know if this is fixed in 4.3a?

EDIT --- Just upgraded to 4.3a. Problem is still there. Not sure why this is marked as [SOLVED] -- disabling hardware rendering is a workaround at best.
Same problem here! Just started using 4.3 (not 4.3a) on a brand new workstation (Dell Precision T7600, Quadro 4000 GPU). Can only select some faces, not others... it's like there's a bug with the left-click selection. This is on some simple geometry that started as an import from a STEP file, then some entities deleted, and then Boolean intersected with a cube. So not a terribly complicated 3D geometry. Tried: - Turn transparency off -- did nothing - Change rendering from OpenGL to Direct3D -- still bad, can only select some faces - Changed rendering to Software -- fixed. I can now select all faces. This is unacceptable though, software rendering is horribly slow and we paid a lot of money for a Quadro 5000 workstation graphics card for use with professional software like Comsol Multiphysics!! Does anyone know if this is fixed in 4.3a? EDIT --- Just upgraded to 4.3a. Problem is still there. Not sure why this is marked as [SOLVED] -- disabling hardware rendering is a workaround at best.

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2012, 5:30 p.m. EDT
What OS do you use ?
What OS do you use ?

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2012, 5:51 p.m. EDT

What OS do you use ?

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. And it's a Quadro 5000 that we have (had the number wrong earlier). NVidia driver version 306.97.

Also I just upgraded to COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3a (4.3.1.115) and the same problem exists.
[QUOTE] What OS do you use ? [/QUOTE] Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. And it's a Quadro 5000 that we have (had the number wrong earlier). NVidia driver version 306.97. Also I just upgraded to COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3a (4.3.1.115) and the same problem exists.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2012, 6:14 p.m. EDT
Update -- it's like the X and Y axes are reversed, sort of. You know how when you click, it puts a little black marker on the axes to show where you clicked? As I move left and right (X direction) clicking, the marker is moving in the Y direction! But the marker is always pegged at the left on the X scale.

Also, it appears that you can only select faces from the back? I can get at some of them if I orient the view so that they're farthest away from the camera.

Weird bug. I wonder if it's a COMSOL bug, an OpenGL bug, or an NVidia driver bug?
Update -- it's like the X and Y axes are reversed, sort of. You know how when you click, it puts a little black marker on the axes to show where you clicked? As I move left and right (X direction) clicking, the marker is moving in the Y direction! But the marker is always pegged at the left on the X scale. Also, it appears that you can only select faces from the back? I can get at some of them if I orient the view so that they're farthest away from the camera. Weird bug. I wonder if it's a COMSOL bug, an OpenGL bug, or an NVidia driver bug?

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 9:40 a.m. EST
The last driver working in OpenGL mode is 297.03 (I have not jet tested the latest 307.45). However, this is not a fix, maybe a workaround. The problem happens in COMSOL 4.3 and 4.3a. Please COMSOL, fix this issue!!
The last driver working in OpenGL mode is 297.03 (I have not jet tested the latest 307.45). However, this is not a fix, maybe a workaround. The problem happens in COMSOL 4.3 and 4.3a. Please COMSOL, fix this issue!!

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 12:28 p.m. EST
Iker, I'm going to try upgrading to the latest Quadro drivers and see if that fixes the problem.

In the meantime, can a moderator please remove the [Solved] tag from the thread title? This issue is most assuredly not solved. Using software rendering is *not* a solution. Otherwise I might start a new thread with a more specific title (now that we know it's an openGL issue).
Iker, I'm going to try upgrading to the latest Quadro drivers and see if that fixes the problem. In the meantime, can a moderator please remove the [Solved] tag from the thread title? This issue is most assuredly not solved. Using software rendering is *not* a solution. Otherwise I might start a new thread with a more specific title (now that we know it's an openGL issue).

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 3:50 p.m. EST

Hi Iker,

I've now upgraded to the very latest NVidia enterprise (ODE) drivers (307.45), and OpenGL is still broken. Same problem as before - can't select faces or edges for selection sets. I can still only make it work using software rendering.
[QUOTE] The last driver working in OpenGL mode is 297.03 (I have not jet tested the latest 307.45). However, this is not a fix, maybe a workaround. The problem happens in COMSOL 4.3 and 4.3a. Please COMSOL, fix this issue!! [/QUOTE] Hi Iker, I've now upgraded to the very latest NVidia enterprise (ODE) drivers (307.45), and OpenGL is still broken. Same problem as before - can't select faces or edges for selection sets. I can still only make it work using software rendering.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 4:02 p.m. EST
I started a new thread here, with more details in the OP:

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/33146/

edit: fixed link (originally I linked to the thread you are in right now)
I started a new thread here, with more details in the OP: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/33146/ edit: fixed link (originally I linked to the thread you are in right now)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2012, 3:02 a.m. EST

Hi Iker,

I've now upgraded to the very latest NVidia enterprise (ODE) drivers (307.45), and OpenGL is still broken. Same problem as before - can't select faces or edges for selection sets. I can still only make it work using software rendering.

Thanks, Geoff Olynyk. I did not want to test this new driver because I'm tired of upgrading drivers and having to go back since 297.03. And my fears were right, this new driver also has the same problem. I don't think it is a problem with the NVIDIA drivers, it seems an incompatibility between COMSOL 4.3 and 4.3a and the latest NVIDIA drivers. By the time being, no one at COMSOL cares.

[QUOTE] Hi Iker, I've now upgraded to the very latest NVidia enterprise (ODE) drivers (307.45), and OpenGL is still broken. Same problem as before - can't select faces or edges for selection sets. I can still only make it work using software rendering. [/QUOTE] Thanks, Geoff Olynyk. I did not want to test this new driver because I'm tired of upgrading drivers and having to go back since 297.03. And my fears were right, this new driver also has the same problem. I don't think it is a problem with the NVIDIA drivers, it seems an incompatibility between COMSOL 4.3 and 4.3a and the latest NVIDIA drivers. By the time being, no one at COMSOL cares.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.