Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to implement definite integral on Boundary integration variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am trying to integrate the nr unit vector along a sphere on 2D axial symmetric model. My aim is to find force acting on the sphere and when I type to the boundary integration variable, nr*2*pi*r, it gives me wrong number in r-direction.

nr is changing wrt pi. I need to define a definite integral which change from 0 to pi and pi to two pi. How can I do that?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

SA

3 Replies Last Post Oct 11, 2012, 1:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 6, 2012, 5:20 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sue I fully catch you, normally if you have a sphere in 2D-axi, its represented by a half circle in the projection plane, and by selecting this half circle nd integrating "nr" along it you get 2*r as expected, if you want the "sphere component" you check the integration Compute surface integral that basically adds an implicit "2*pi*r" component to your integral to count for the 2D-axis "loop length"

Now I have only 4.3 active but it ws there in v3.5 too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sue I fully catch you, normally if you have a sphere in 2D-axi, its represented by a half circle in the projection plane, and by selecting this half circle nd integrating "nr" along it you get 2*r as expected, if you want the "sphere component" you check the integration Compute surface integral that basically adds an implicit "2*pi*r" component to your integral to count for the 2D-axis "loop length" Now I have only 4.3 active but it ws there in v3.5 too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2012, 11:38 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Thank you for your emai.

Could you please explain me how can I define a definite integral on the Boundary integration variables?

For example from 0 to pi the "nr " is "nr " and from pi to 2*pi "nr " is "-nr" around z-axis of the sphere 2D axial.

This is the point I could not implement on Comsol.

Thank you,

Regards,

ODU
Hi, Thank you for your emai. Could you please explain me how can I define a definite integral on the Boundary integration variables? For example from 0 to pi the "nr " is "nr " and from pi to 2*pi "nr " is "-nr" around z-axis of the sphere 2D axial. This is the point I could not implement on Comsol. Thank you, Regards, ODU

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2012, 1:23 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure I follow you, in a cylindrical coordinate system (r,phi,z) w.r.t. (x,y,z) the normal to acylindrical surface aligne on the coordinate axis has a nr scalar value of 1 all around the loop it points outwards (in the (r,phi,z) reference, the "-1" comes from the phi variation and the sin(phi) relation when you project it onto the (x,y,z) reference, but then nz has also three (x,y,z) componets that vary over any edge.

If you integrate in 2D-axi "nr" (2*pi*r*nr if you turn on the feature to integrate surfaces as edges, where 2*pi*nr is the loop length) you should get your result no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I follow you, in a cylindrical coordinate system (r,phi,z) w.r.t. (x,y,z) the normal to acylindrical surface aligne on the coordinate axis has a nr scalar value of 1 all around the loop it points outwards (in the (r,phi,z) reference, the "-1" comes from the phi variation and the sin(phi) relation when you project it onto the (x,y,z) reference, but then nz has also three (x,y,z) componets that vary over any edge. If you integrate in 2D-axi "nr" (2*pi*r*nr if you turn on the feature to integrate surfaces as edges, where 2*pi*nr is the loop length) you should get your result no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.