Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issue with Building Swept in Mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Only certain domain I selected sucesfully build a mesh.

It keeps telling me "Failed to create swept mesh for domain." and Source face must be specified."

I have tried re-define the domain and everything is continuous. What should I do to fiz this problem?

2 Replies Last Post Aug 2, 2022, 10:53 a.m. EDT

Posted: 2 years ago Aug 2, 2022, 5:20 a.m. EDT

If you look through the Comsol Blog you will see many examples of how to define and optimise a swept mesh.

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/?np=8&s=swept+mesh

You should build you geometry with sweeps and revolves to ensure source and destination faces have the same geometry (you are trying to sweep between boundaries that have different geometry definitions).

If you look through the Comsol Blog you will see many examples of how to define and optimise a swept mesh. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/?np=8&s=swept+mesh You should build you geometry with sweeps and revolves to ensure source and destination faces have the same geometry (you are trying to sweep between boundaries that have different geometry definitions).

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Aug 2, 2022, 10:53 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Aug 2, 2022, 1:18 p.m. EDT

Hello I-Ting,

I mmodified your geometry sequence a bit so that the two long straight parts of the pipe and water are each split into two pieces connecting where the antenna makes contact with the pipe. I also switch from Form Union to Form Assembly to resolve a small surface mismatch between the half tori and cylinders. With these changes, I was able to generate a nice mesh. The use of Form Assembly is not meant as a permanent solution for you, but was rather a way for me to check if the small mismatch mentioned above was the last remaining issue. A long term solution for you would be to create the pipe not by a combination of tori and extrusions but by sweeping and revolving a couple of circles. I hope this puts you on the right track.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello I-Ting, I mmodified your geometry sequence a bit so that the two long straight parts of the pipe and water are each split into two pieces connecting where the antenna makes contact with the pipe. I also switch from Form Union to Form Assembly to resolve a small surface mismatch between the half tori and cylinders. With these changes, I was able to generate a nice mesh. The use of Form Assembly is not meant as a permanent solution for you, but was rather a way for me to check if the small mismatch mentioned above was the last remaining issue. A long term solution for you would be to create the pipe not by a combination of tori and extrusions but by sweeping and revolving a couple of circles. I hope this puts you on the right track. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.