Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid/Solid Heattransfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody

I´m a new Comsol-user and have some problems with my simulation. I simulate a fluid/solid heat-transfer in a water-filled cavern for "Underground Thermal Energy Storage". After a certain time the water should built thermal layers. The hot water on the top and the cold water on the ground.

1. Is it possible to simulate this in a time depentent study?
  2. Is it possible to define the thermal gradient in a solid or liquid by myself as a T0?

Thanks for every response!

1 Reply Last Post Mar 22, 2022, 1:19 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Mar 22, 2022, 1:19 p.m. EDT

Hello Mikkel,

1. Sure, you can do this as a time dependent study. Here is an example of an example of a model solving for a time-dependent non-isothermal flow problem.
  2. Yes, initial values can depend on coordinates. The COMSOL GUI is interpreted, so just go ahead an type the expression you need in there (and that expression can use functions, etc)

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Mikkel, 1. Sure, you can do this as a time dependent study. [Here](https://www.comsol.com/model/free-convection-in-a-water-glass-195) is an example of an example of a model solving for a time-dependent non-isothermal flow problem. 2. Yes, initial values can depend on coordinates. The COMSOL GUI is interpreted, so just go ahead an type the expression you need in there (and that expression can use functions, etc) Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.