Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Integrating pressure in CFD simulations to compute force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I am working on a vertical-axis wind turbine and I'd like to compute the forces exerted on its blades by the wind. In order to do so, I am performing CFD simulations on my wind turbine in the following manner: I Import my 3D geometry from SolidWorks, then I build a block to simulate wind tunel, I set up acrylic plastic and air as materials for the wind turbine and wind tunel respectively. Finally, I add laminar flow physics and set up its boundary conditions with an inlet wind speed of 2.04 m/s. No turbulence model is used. Then, to compute forces, I am integrating the pressure magnitude (p) along to the normal of the surface of each of the blades of the wind turbine. From doing this, I expect to get positive pressure, and therefore, positive force on the surfaces labeled as 1,2 and 3 (see Figures attached), which are the blades surfaces where the wind impacts directly (1 and 2) and where part of the wind flow is deviated (3). But I am actually getting negative values of pressure and force in the blade 3. Does anyone know why I am getting negative values of pressure and force on the sides of the blades that are "behind" the wind flow? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 16, 2020, 5:34 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eddy Ibarra

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.