Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiple Parameters Sweep - Memory Problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Community Members,

During the last months I have developed a comsol model that works very well for any combination of parameters, and now that it works, I would like to analyze the behavior for various combinations of 3 parameters. To this end, I am using a triple parametric sweep, and this is where problem appear.

I would like the program to go in a triple loop and solve for all parameters as it supposed to do. In my sense, the program should solve for one combination of parameters, store the solution to the hard drive, free the RAM and solve for the next combination of parameters, in a serial way. However whenever I increase the number of element in the parameter list I end up getting memory problems.

The computation works for any combination entered separately but not when using the parametric sweep with the number of parameters I want. I tried increasing the Java Heap Size and de-activating the option 'extension' -> 'use parametric solver', but this did not really help.

The only way I managed to do it so far is to reduce the number of parameters until I don't have memory problems, and use duplicates of the file with the remaining parameters I am interested in, which is really annoying (trial and error approach and increasing number of files I have to sort).

Does anyone know a way to circumvent these problems?

Thanks for the help and best regards!

Fabien

2 Replies Last Post Feb 28, 2012, 9:00 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2012, 1:48 p.m. EST
I had exactly the same problem. I could solve the problem for only about 50 combinations of parameters.
Increasing Java heap size really helped (from 1024 to 8192 with 48Gb of RAM available). Now I can solve 200 without any problems.
I had exactly the same problem. I could solve the problem for only about 50 combinations of parameters. Increasing Java heap size really helped (from 1024 to 8192 with 48Gb of RAM available). Now I can solve 200 without any problems.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 28, 2012, 9:00 a.m. EST

Dear Alexander

Thanks for your answer. I will try to increase the heap size even more (even if I don't understand why a simple loop requires so much memory...)

All the best,

Fabien

Dear Alexander Thanks for your answer. I will try to increase the heap size even more (even if I don't understand why a simple loop requires so much memory...) All the best, Fabien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.