Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Out of Memory !!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am working on a pretty big model and it keeps running out of memory, Is there a way to increase the memory size comsol uses or may be increase the page size of the computer?

2 Replies Last Post Dec 26, 2011, 12:22 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 26, 2011, 3:22 a.m. EST
Hi
normally COMSOL uses what is available from the OS, including swap (but then it becomes very slow, so the best is to add RAM.

Sometimes you have a java heap issue (se the KB). You gain a little 20-30% RAM BY RUNNING IN SERVER CLIENT mode.

But the best is to reduce the size of your model by playing on symmetry, simplifying the geoemtry, analysisng the physics, splitting them up when possible

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally COMSOL uses what is available from the OS, including swap (but then it becomes very slow, so the best is to add RAM. Sometimes you have a java heap issue (se the KB). You gain a little 20-30% RAM BY RUNNING IN SERVER CLIENT mode. But the best is to reduce the size of your model by playing on symmetry, simplifying the geoemtry, analysisng the physics, splitting them up when possible -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 26, 2011, 12:22 p.m. EST
Thank you very much, the symmetry idea is good. I will try that
Thank you very much, the symmetry idea is good. I will try that

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.