Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving Mesh - Position = Dependent Variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a spherical shell. I want to make its inner radius R1 and outer radius R2 move over time (just radially, like a ball getting bigger). I don't know how to tell COMSOL to move the radius. I know I must use the ALE method and I already have the "Moving Mesh" pack. I tried two ways of doing this, none worked:

1.-I first tried to go to Set "Prescribed Mesh Displacement" and set each surface with corresponding radial position (R1 or R2). This doesn't work for me because when I get to that option, I try to choose boundaries and it just tells me: "1(not applicable)", "2(not applicable)" and so on for all surfaces.

2.- Then, I tried with velocities, I could specify surface velocities on each surface, I used the option: "Prescribed Mesh Velocity", and this should do the job, but I don't know how to set velocity = time derivative of dependent function. How can I do this?

I am using COMSOL 4.0

If anyone could tell me how to set velocity = time derivative of dependent function, or if anyone could tell me how to get the boundaries to not say "not applicable", it would be awesome. I am attaching my model, but it doesn't run yet because it is a work in progress.

2 Replies Last Post Dec 26, 2011, 3:17 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2011, 8:15 a.m. EST
Anyone knows how to do this?
Anyone knows how to do this?

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 26, 2011, 3:17 p.m. EST
You need to define "free deformation" node and select your domain. Then the boundaries become accessible.
You need to define "free deformation" node and select your domain. Then the boundaries become accessible.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.