Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

temperature-dependent material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

(All the content and photos are in the doc. attachment, Thanks)

Hi, everyone,

I'm building a thermal model using the "heat transfer module", in which the temperature-dependent material properties are applied, while it fails. Could you do me a favor to check my model and give me some suggest? Thanks sincerely in advance.

According to all what I known, I definite three "Piecewise function" just under the Model 1 --> Materials --> Material 1 --> Basic branch, just shown in Fig. 1. The three Piecewise functions with the names of d, tc and hc represent density, thermal conductivity and heat capacity, respectively. I judge there is something wrong with the temperature dependent material properties because the solved temperature distribution is same with the one when all the three material properties are constant in all range, i.e. density is equal to d_s irrespective of the temperature. Meanwhile, there is an effective heat capacity (including in the expression/function of the hc Piecewise function) to consider the phase change, the temperature should be different theoretically.

After a long time check and correct, I have not solve the problem and haven't understood what is wrong? Could you give me some help?
Thanks for your help. Best wishes to you and your family.

Yours
FM Huang
Dec.17th.2011

0 Replies Last Post Dec 16, 2011, 9:40 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Huang Fumin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.