Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diffusion-Advection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am using Comsol 5.3a. At the moment using Darcy as well as transport of dilute species modulus by coupling these two equations . I am doing parametric study from small range of diffusion coefficient from 10^-9 to 10^-15, such that investigating concentration of solute across my geometry. However, each time I decrease Diffusion to 10^-14 to 10^-15 range, I get negative concentration next to narrower part of channel. I even used small meshes with distribution of fixed numebr of 100, still getting negative concentration in some parts of domain. Is there anyone who khows how I should solve this problem?

Many thanks, Azin

1 Reply Last Post Aug 14, 2019, 7:51 a.m. EDT
Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 14, 2019, 7:51 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Aug 14, 2019, 7:43 a.m. EDT

Hi Azin, if you simulate a transport of diluted species you have to note the Cell-Peclet number. The Peclet number (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Péclet_number) is the ratio of advective and diffusive transport. You can calculate the cell Peclet number as follows: Pec=h*spf.U/tds.Dav_c.

From the from a strong mathematical point of view the numerical method accurately solves the PDE with Cell-Peclet-Numbers < 1 ... 2. COMSOL Multiphysics® is very robust and it gives you satisfying results in many cases with Cell-Peclet-Numbers >> 2.

If you decrease the diffusion coefficient in such a way you mentioned above you dramatically increase the Cell Peclet Number, that means the ratio of advective and diffusive transport. I recommend you to check the Cell Peclet number.

Best regards Michael Rembe

-------------------
Michael Rembe
Rembe Consulting PartG mbB
www.rembe-consulting.de

Hi Azin, if you simulate a transport of diluted species you have to note the Cell-Peclet number. The Peclet number (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Péclet_number) is the ratio of advective and diffusive transport. You can calculate the cell Peclet number as follows: Pec=h*spf.U/tds.Dav_c. From the from a strong mathematical point of view the numerical method accurately solves the PDE with Cell-Peclet-Numbers < 1 ... 2. COMSOL Multiphysics® is very robust and it gives you satisfying results in many cases with Cell-Peclet-Numbers >> 2. If you decrease the diffusion coefficient in such a way you mentioned above you dramatically increase the Cell Peclet Number, that means the ratio of advective and diffusive transport. I recommend you to check the Cell Peclet number. Best regards Michael Rembe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.