Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shape factor of multi-linear separation of decohesive setting & penalty factor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol users,

I noticed that for decohesive settings tag, there is a parameter λ called shape factor when multi-linear seperation is selected. Could anyone please give some explanation on this? What does this factor do?

Also, the contact pressure penalty factor in penalty method is interpreted as the stiffness of a distributed spring connecting two contact boundaries. Why does it have the unit of N/m^3?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best, Xiaokang

3 Replies Last Post Nov 26, 2018, 4:50 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Nov 23, 2018, 1:59 a.m. EST

Hi,

Lambda is described in the user's guide as:

"This law requires one more material parameter lambda, describing the width of the “plastic” region. The Shape factor lambda is the ratio between the plastic (constant stress) part of Gic and the total “inelastic” part of Gic."

Looking at the figure just above that text (in the section 'Multilinear Separation Law' in the theory chapter) will make things clear.

As for the penalty factor unit, an ordinary spring has a stiffness with unit N/m. If that is distributed over an area, you divide by m^2.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, Lambda is described in the user's guide as: "This law requires one more material parameter *lambda*, describing the width of the “plastic” region. The Shape factor *lambda* is the ratio between the plastic (constant stress) part of Gic and the total “inelastic” part of Gic." Looking at the figure just above that text (in the section 'Multilinear Separation Law' in the theory chapter) will make things clear. As for the penalty factor unit, an ordinary spring has a stiffness with unit N/m. If that is distributed over an area, you divide by m^2. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago Nov 24, 2018, 11:16 a.m. EST

Hello Henrik,

Thank you so much for the explaination.

I have a follow-up question for you. The multi-linear decohesive law uses both ERR (J/m^2) & interficial strength (Pa) together as the criterion for separation. I'm wondering how can I use interfial strength only as the criterion, meaning, separation occur right after shear stress exceeds interficial shear strength.

Thank you!

Best, Xiaokang

Hello Henrik, Thank you so much for the explaination. I have a follow-up question for you. The multi-linear decohesive law uses both ERR (J/m^2) & interficial strength (Pa) together as the criterion for separation. I'm wondering how can I **use interfial strength only** as the criterion, meaning, separation occur right after shear stress exceeds interficial shear strength. Thank you! Best, Xiaokang

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Nov 26, 2018, 4:50 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Nov 26, 2018, 3:31 p.m. EST

Hi Xiaokang,

The problem with using a material law in which the layer breaks instantaneously at a certain peak stress is that it may be difficult to obtain convergence in such a model.

But if you want to try it, you can just use the linear separation law, and set GIc such that it matches the energy in the layer exactly at peak stress, that is 0.5*max_stress^2/penalty_factor. Probably that value should be multiplied by a small number, like 1.001 or so to avoid division by zero.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Xiaokang, The problem with using a material law in which the layer breaks instantaneously at a certain peak stress is that it may be difficult to obtain convergence in such a model. But if you want to try it, you can just use the linear separation law, and set GIc such that it matches the energy in the layer exactly at peak stress, that is 0.5\*max\_stress^2/penalty\_factor. Probably that value should be multiplied by a small number, like 1.001 or so to avoid division by zero. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.