Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting the gradient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody!
I'm still very new to Comsol so the answer of my question might be obvious for some of you but I just don't get it.

My question is:
How can I plot the gradient (of an electric potential) on a surface of a geometry. Later on, I'd like to get the gradient for all points of an contour plot. I actually only need the gradient for these points and not for all on the surface but I also would like to know how to do it for all points.

I know the variable ux, uy and uz etc give me the values the gradient at a specific point but I've no idea how I can use these variables inside a plot (or a result table?). I hope somebody can help me or give me a hint how to do something like this in general or will tell me where I can find the needed informations to find it out by myself.

Thank you very much!
Daniel

3 Replies Last Post Jun 27, 2011, 11:48 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Wagner

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 20, 2011, 2:22 p.m. EDT
I've been trying to do the same thing. Have you figured it out?
I've been trying to do the same thing. Have you figured it out?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 21, 2011, 8:39 p.m. EDT
The gradient of potential with respect to x and y are "Vx" and "Vy". COMSOL recognizes these variables as representing the spatial derivatives of the dependent variable, V. I think it works for any dependent variable. In heat transfer, for example, Tx and Ty, are spatial derivatives of temperature with respect to x and y.
The gradient of potential with respect to x and y are "Vx" and "Vy". COMSOL recognizes these variables as representing the spatial derivatives of the dependent variable, V. I think it works for any dependent variable. In heat transfer, for example, Tx and Ty, are spatial derivatives of temperature with respect to x and y.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 27, 2011, 11:48 a.m. EDT
I'd like the gradient of the electric field. Comsol uses Ex, Ey, and Ez for the components of the E field. In that case, I don't think Ex would be the spatial derivative. The notation I've been using and seems to work is, d(Ex,x), if I want the gradient of the x component of the E field.
I'd like the gradient of the electric field. Comsol uses Ex, Ey, and Ez for the components of the E field. In that case, I don't think Ex would be the spatial derivative. The notation I've been using and seems to work is, d(Ex,x), if I want the gradient of the x component of the E field.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.