Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Basic Parallel Plate Capacitor 3.5a - Integration Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to create a very simple model to test the integration tools in COMSOL 3.5 (I have 4.1 as well but the lack of perfect electric insulation in AD/DC mode makes this program less accessible - if this is possible, please let me know).

I have created a simple rectangle with dimensions of 1m x 1m x 1m and have placed a constant potential of 1V on one edge and a ground on the other. The remaining two parallel sides are electric insulation. Finally, the subdomain has been set as "air" so that the permittivity is e0.

When I solve this geometry and try to perform a normal current density boundary integral on either of the conductive boundaries, I am off by a factor of 100*pi.

Any insight or suggestions would be helpful,

Patrick

1 Reply Last Post Apr 19, 2011, 10:59 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 10:59 a.m. EDT
Hi

You have an application mode with electric currents, but your "air" domain has "0" conductivity. I would not expect a large current then if you integrate over whatever area. And edges/boundaries inherit from the domains.

then why does 4.1 work, for me it has more options than 3.5 by now ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You have an application mode with electric currents, but your "air" domain has "0" conductivity. I would not expect a large current then if you integrate over whatever area. And edges/boundaries inherit from the domains. then why does 4.1 work, for me it has more options than 3.5 by now ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.