Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Computing time for a model study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi dear all,

Do you know how can I know, how much time would be taken for a study compute ?
I just did a simple model of a furnace tube and did a "fine" mesh on it. After clicking on study>compute ... it passed one hour but it was in "creating boundary mesh" !
Is it normal?
Is there any way to understand how much time is needed for a model study?

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2011, 8:49 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 8:35 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe that you must have a complex model or that something is wrong, normally a meshing does not exceed a few minutes. I have one counter example with >1000 geometry parts, it takes about 30 minutes

Try to cancel and then to mesh by steps a few items at the time, and avoid small detailed parts. In doubt always start with a very coarse mesh, then refine

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe that you must have a complex model or that something is wrong, normally a meshing does not exceed a few minutes. I have one counter example with >1000 geometry parts, it takes about 30 minutes Try to cancel and then to mesh by steps a few items at the time, and avoid small detailed parts. In doubt always start with a very coarse mesh, then refine -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 8:49 a.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar, I will take your advise to see what happens.
Just add that it is a 3D meshed tube (mesh is chosen as "fine").
Thanks Ivar, I will take your advise to see what happens. Just add that it is a 3D meshed tube (mesh is chosen as "fine").

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.