Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of litz wire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

This is Pranith. I am doing litz wire simulation. I have litz wire of 9 stands. My problem is when i am simulation comsol is taking as 9 different coils. Can any one please help me how to make it as single coil . I tryed different methods. i am attaching my simulations.

Regards,
Pranith Thummala

5 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2011, 8:45 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 18, 2011, 8:13 a.m. EDT
Hi,

isn't a Litz wire coil an assembly of separate coils that are closely coupled by the magnetic field? Wouldn't you loose major properties by making it into one coil?
Maybe it depends what exactly you want to investigate in that coil.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, isn't a Litz wire coil an assembly of separate coils that are closely coupled by the magnetic field? Wouldn't you loose major properties by making it into one coil? Maybe it depends what exactly you want to investigate in that coil. Cheers Edgar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 18, 2011, 10:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

or is it a multi-brine wire coil you reefer to ?

Any how: a few comments in litz1.mph: You have 2 current source physics active together External current density and Multi-Turn Coils Domain,where in External Current Densities the units are in my understanding wrong: its more probably 1[A]/pi/(0.35[mm])^2, and for me it's along phi (out of paper axis) and not "r" = the horizontal axis. You should Disable one of the two

The multi-turn coil domain, each circle has 4 turns of another wire section, its difficult to compare the 2 physics

In general sense use a 1/2 circle to enclose your volume, not a "box", you have no "corners" that way, your field lines are more natural

In Litz2 the remarks above do also apply, then Coil Group Domain 6 is probably missing a element, and I would rather use the mult-turn coils Domains, but read carefully the doc, these are subtle BCs

Then as you do not really need to solve for V, in my understanding I would rather start with MF and not MEF, its far simpler and quicker to solve, adding V can always be don later once the first model is running correctly

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi or is it a multi-brine wire coil you reefer to ? Any how: a few comments in litz1.mph: You have 2 current source physics active together External current density and Multi-Turn Coils Domain,where in External Current Densities the units are in my understanding wrong: its more probably 1[A]/pi/(0.35[mm])^2, and for me it's along phi (out of paper axis) and not "r" = the horizontal axis. You should Disable one of the two The multi-turn coil domain, each circle has 4 turns of another wire section, its difficult to compare the 2 physics In general sense use a 1/2 circle to enclose your volume, not a "box", you have no "corners" that way, your field lines are more natural In Litz2 the remarks above do also apply, then Coil Group Domain 6 is probably missing a element, and I would rather use the mult-turn coils Domains, but read carefully the doc, these are subtle BCs Then as you do not really need to solve for V, in my understanding I would rather start with MF and not MEF, its far simpler and quicker to solve, adding V can always be don later once the first model is running correctly -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 6:09 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I want to check the coil inductance and A/c resistance at different frequencies. Can you please help me which physics i have to use. Thanks for you help.

Regards,
Pranith Thummala
Hi, I want to check the coil inductance and A/c resistance at different frequencies. Can you please help me which physics i have to use. Thanks for you help. Regards, Pranith Thummala

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 6:11 a.m. EDT
Hi Edgar,

I want to check the coil inductance and A/c resistance at different frequencies. Can you please help me which physics i have to use. Thanks for you help.

Regards,
Pranith Thummala
Hi Edgar, I want to check the coil inductance and A/c resistance at different frequencies. Can you please help me which physics i have to use. Thanks for you help. Regards, Pranith Thummala

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 8:45 a.m. EDT
I think you can follow Ivars advice and start with MF.
I think you can follow Ivars advice and start with MF.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.