Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D Nanosecond Pulsed laser simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i am am very new to comsol, i already did the geometry of my problem, i am now on my way to add physics. i want to simulate the effect of the pulsed laser heating on a material, i completely have no knowledge about how to do that?. please any hint will be deepy appreciated.

Thanks,
Mohamed Youssef

5 Replies Last Post Jul 27, 2015, 2:09 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 5:25 a.m. EDT
I guess you could add a boundary condition to the spot where the laser hits. And calculate the induced heat on this surface by using the power and wavelength of the laser and wavelengthdependend absorption coefficient of the material. Then you could define all the heat loss everywhere and solve for a transient or end state solution.
I guess you could add a boundary condition to the spot where the laser hits. And calculate the induced heat on this surface by using the power and wavelength of the laser and wavelengthdependend absorption coefficient of the material. Then you could define all the heat loss everywhere and solve for a transient or end state solution.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 5:30 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much for your reply, this is a very clever idea, but i want to add the 3D laser in my design, i want to make animation for the whole film, from the beginning of the laser heating till the end of the material removal "laser ablation". i fyou have any idea if this is possible?

Thanks

Mohamed Youssef
Thank you very much for your reply, this is a very clever idea, but i want to add the 3D laser in my design, i want to make animation for the whole film, from the beginning of the laser heating till the end of the material removal "laser ablation". i fyou have any idea if this is possible? Thanks Mohamed Youssef

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 5:42 a.m. EDT
I dont know how to model phase change like solid to gaseous or the like. For laser heating you might want to have a look at this:

www.comsol.de/showroom/gallery/699/

Best of luck and I hope someone else can help you on this.. I'm sure it's possible to model somehow :)
I dont know how to model phase change like solid to gaseous or the like. For laser heating you might want to have a look at this: http://www.comsol.de/showroom/gallery/699/ Best of luck and I hope someone else can help you on this.. I'm sure it's possible to model somehow :)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 5:44 a.m. EDT
Thank you. realy your help is deeply appreciated
Thank you. realy your help is deeply appreciated

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 27, 2015, 2:09 a.m. EDT
hello i am beginner in comsol so please tell me how to build geometry and how to do laser welding simulation.plz reply

hello i am beginner in comsol so please tell me how to build geometry and how to do laser welding simulation.plz reply

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.