Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Volume Expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm modeling Volume expansion of a disk shaped material.

I have used a ODE with this Expression :

v-vt=0
v=Vol1 , initial

But I got some errors

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: vt
- Global scope

4 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2011, 10:25 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2011, 8:22 a.m. EST
Hi

Could itbe that you are in structural and that v and vt are already used by COMSOL ?

Always use "private names, most 1-2 letter names are already used by COMSOL, sometimes you want to redefine them, but often it gives errors, as you need to know exactly what you are doing

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Could itbe that you are in structural and that v and vt are already used by COMSOL ? Always use "private names, most 1-2 letter names are already used by COMSOL, sometimes you want to redefine them, but often it gives errors, as you need to know exactly what you are doing -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2011, 8:26 a.m. EST
Thanks a lot for you reply.

I'm not using Structural. I have chosen ODEs and DAEs.

I have attached the Model.

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look.
Thanks a lot for you reply. I'm not using Structural. I have chosen ODEs and DAEs. I have attached the Model. I'd appreciate it if you could take a look.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2011, 1:04 p.m. EST
Hi

you cannot try to solve for an ODE alone as you have not defined any dependent variables What is v ?, and vol1 ?

You need to define some physics via an PDE and possibly add an ODE if required

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you cannot try to solve for an ODE alone as you have not defined any dependent variables What is v ?, and vol1 ? You need to define some physics via an PDE and possibly add an ODE if required -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2011, 10:25 a.m. EST

Ivar is right (of course!).
But you can in fact solve an ODE, as a global space independent problem. You to define the dependent variable, as Ivar points out, and you can do this by setting Name to v in the Global Equations settings, also, change vol1 to 0 or something else that is defined.

If you want to solve a distributed ODE on a 2D domain (where sources may change with position, but you have no gradient driven transport), use rather a General form PDE and only use the f and da terms.

--
Niklas
Ivar is right (of course!). But you can in fact solve an ODE, as a global space independent problem. You to define the dependent variable, as Ivar points out, and you can do this by setting Name to v in the Global Equations settings, also, change vol1 to 0 or something else that is defined. If you want to solve a distributed ODE on a 2D domain (where sources may change with position, but you have no gradient driven transport), use rather a General form PDE and only use the f and da terms. -- Niklas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.