Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic-Structure interaction w/o Structure and Acoustics Modules [3.5a]

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to model acoustic-structure interaction using the base module only (since I don't have the structure and acoustics modules available at this time). I would like to see eigenmodes of a solid and how the corresponding sound radiates away. How would you do it?

Best regards
Matthias

2 Replies Last Post Oct 30, 2009, 2:16 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 28, 2009, 11:52 a.m. EDT
Yes, I did this before the Acoustics Module existed. Your biggest challenge is going to be the boundary conditions, since omnidirectional radiation is difficult to model without perfectly matched layers (PMLs).

I did pretty well using the radiation boundary condition on a cylindrical or spherical surface.

There is an acceleration boundary condition for the acoustics. Just set this to be equal to the acceleration of the structure surface that is vibrating. Also, apply a surface load to the structure that is equal to the acoustic pressure.

Try it with some simple benchmarks (from Beranek or similar text, for instance) first, but you should be able to get pretty far.

Good luck,

Dustin
Yes, I did this before the Acoustics Module existed. Your biggest challenge is going to be the boundary conditions, since omnidirectional radiation is difficult to model without perfectly matched layers (PMLs). I did pretty well using the radiation boundary condition on a cylindrical or spherical surface. There is an acceleration boundary condition for the acoustics. Just set this to be equal to the acceleration of the structure surface that is vibrating. Also, apply a surface load to the structure that is equal to the acoustic pressure. Try it with some simple benchmarks (from Beranek or similar text, for instance) first, but you should be able to get pretty far. Good luck, Dustin

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 30, 2009, 2:16 a.m. EDT
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

[... message is currently being edited due to brain upgrade of user ...]

Thanks a lot,
Matthias
Hi, thanks for your answer. [... message is currently being edited due to brain upgrade of user ...] Thanks a lot, Matthias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.