Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[Comsol 3.5a] Visualize drawing dimensions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello to all
Is it possible in Comsol visualize the dimension of my drawing, the dimensions like in a technical drawing(for example edge length)?

Thank you
Luca

3 Replies Last Post Oct 24, 2009, 12:59 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 23, 2009, 5:44 p.m. EDT
Hi Luca

You cannot really visualise the lengths as in a cad tool, but you have the grid frame for the overall dimensions, and you can measure the distance between points and the length of edges with the "ruler" icons in the vertical colum rather to the lower bottom) of icons to the left of your graphics window. This workson raw geometries and "analysed" geometries. the measured length is diplayed in the message window.

Finally you can measure lengths, areas, volumes, inertia etc by first getting the "SOLVE Get Initial Conditions" executed and then do a posprocessing on the edges (integrate 1) surfaces, columes etc or applying more complex functions, rms of the deformed surface ..

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Luca You cannot really visualise the lengths as in a cad tool, but you have the grid frame for the overall dimensions, and you can measure the distance between points and the length of edges with the "ruler" icons in the vertical colum rather to the lower bottom) of icons to the left of your graphics window. This workson raw geometries and "analysed" geometries. the measured length is diplayed in the message window. Finally you can measure lengths, areas, volumes, inertia etc by first getting the "SOLVE Get Initial Conditions" executed and then do a posprocessing on the edges (integrate 1) surfaces, columes etc or applying more complex functions, rms of the deformed surface .. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 24, 2009, 12:02 p.m. EDT
Hello Ivar
thanks for your advice, i already know these function, but i thought about visualization like in cad tool, because i am riting a report and i need to display images with coloured subdomains and edge dimensions, in the next days i will try import my geometries in CATIA or Solid edge and I will look for this function in these programs. Have you ever had these problems with Comsol? how did you solve them?

Thank you very much
Luca
Hello Ivar thanks for your advice, i already know these function, but i thought about visualization like in cad tool, because i am riting a report and i need to display images with coloured subdomains and edge dimensions, in the next days i will try import my geometries in CATIA or Solid edge and I will look for this function in these programs. Have you ever had these problems with Comsol? how did you solve them? Thank you very much Luca

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 24, 2009, 12:59 p.m. EDT
Hi
it happens that my favorite CAD rool is called SolidWorks, so I do 90% of the cad within this software and link to comsol mostly via parasoilid .x_t file, sometimes using the direct "live" link

For the colors, I even make "fake" groups just to add colors but motly the specific BC's are colored differently by default and I use this for my documentation, eiter by saving the images as jpg or by using snip-it (If on VISTA), and an equivalent cut*paste on UX.

It looks even easier in V4 beta, hope this holds until the formal release ;)
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it happens that my favorite CAD rool is called SolidWorks, so I do 90% of the cad within this software and link to comsol mostly via parasoilid .x_t file, sometimes using the direct "live" link For the colors, I even make "fake" groups just to add colors but motly the specific BC's are colored differently by default and I use this for my documentation, eiter by saving the images as jpg or by using snip-it (If on VISTA), and an equivalent cut*paste on UX. It looks even easier in V4 beta, hope this holds until the formal release ;) Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.