Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Error:Failed to reset properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to reset the history of a model that contains ts, ht and emw, in order to open it in matlab. However I get the error

Failed to reset properties

No clue of what properties it is refering to. Is ther somewhere I can see that

12 Replies Last Post Sep 29, 2011, 12:53 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 23, 2010, 4:45 a.m. EST
Hi

I have had sometimes those errors, far more in v4 than 4.1, but mostly I ignore them, save the file close Comsol repoen and restart and it's then OK

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have had sometimes those errors, far more in v4 than 4.1, but mostly I ignore them, save the file close Comsol repoen and restart and it's then OK -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2011, 3:46 a.m. EST
Hi Micke, Ivar

Ivar: You're lucky you had more 'Failed to reset properties' issues with 4 than with 4.1; for me its the total opposite, and it's driving me crazy. Moreover, saving and reopening comsol never seems to 'fix' the file..

I would think that 'reset history' is mainly used for people who then want to save a .m script and use the model within matlab. Without this functionality, the saved script is only usable after some extensive (time-consuming!) cleanup. Often the script even contains invalid code (the biggest offenders in my files are invalid geometry operations of the type ' model.geom('g1').delete({}) ). By the way, this error does not seem to be linked with either RF of HT.. as my current models only use the acdc module.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to share my frustration.. and publicly state that I hope this gets fixed at some point ;)
best
Charles
Hi Micke, Ivar Ivar: You're lucky you had more 'Failed to reset properties' issues with 4 than with 4.1; for me its the total opposite, and it's driving me crazy. Moreover, saving and reopening comsol never seems to 'fix' the file.. I would think that 'reset history' is mainly used for people who then want to save a .m script and use the model within matlab. Without this functionality, the saved script is only usable after some extensive (time-consuming!) cleanup. Often the script even contains invalid code (the biggest offenders in my files are invalid geometry operations of the type ' model.geom('g1').delete({}) ). By the way, this error does not seem to be linked with either RF of HT.. as my current models only use the acdc module. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to share my frustration.. and publicly state that I hope this gets fixed at some point ;) best Charles

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2011, 4:46 a.m. EST
Hi

that is not normal, apart if you are workin on an imported model, I always reconstruct my models in latest version from SCRATCH, as there are subtil loading errors.

Then if you are using the tables, these must be "cleared" (not deleted) befoe, specially if the model does not get to its end as the programme remembers the table size and the update only works if you add to a similar size table and that its "cleaned" I mostly use the rightclick "Clear and Evaluate All"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is not normal, apart if you are workin on an imported model, I always reconstruct my models in latest version from SCRATCH, as there are subtil loading errors. Then if you are using the tables, these must be "cleared" (not deleted) befoe, specially if the model does not get to its end as the programme remembers the table size and the update only works if you add to a similar size table and that its "cleaned" I mostly use the rightclick "Clear and Evaluate All" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 8, 2011, 4:47 a.m. EST
Hi Micke, Hi Ivar, Hi Charles,

I don't know, if you are still interested in this problem.
In version 4.1 I recently experienced the same error.
What I found is, that resetting the model history does not work (at least for me), when I run Comsol in client mode, connected to a Comsol server.
When I disconnect from the server, resetting the model history works for some reasons.
Maybe this works for you as well.

Best regards,
Juergen
Hi Micke, Hi Ivar, Hi Charles, I don't know, if you are still interested in this problem. In version 4.1 I recently experienced the same error. What I found is, that resetting the model history does not work (at least for me), when I run Comsol in client mode, connected to a Comsol server. When I disconnect from the server, resetting the model history works for some reasons. Maybe this works for you as well. Best regards, Juergen

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 8, 2011, 3:07 p.m. EST
Hi

I would say you should report this to "support" so they might check and fix it if needed for next release

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say you should report this to "support" so they might check and fix it if needed for next release -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 9, 2011, 3:48 a.m. EST
Dear Ivar,

That's a good idea!
I have just sent them a short message on this issue!

Best regards,
Juergen
Dear Ivar, That's a good idea! I have just sent them a short message on this issue! Best regards, Juergen

Posted: 1 decade ago May 17, 2011, 4:52 a.m. EDT
Hello everybody,

I have problems resetting 3D-models, too... this is really bothering.
I gave up cleaning the m-file and so I am not working with the matalblivelink right now.
Did comsol support already reply? Is there solution for that issue or do we all have to wait for comsol to fix it?

Best regards,
Oliver
Hello everybody, I have problems resetting 3D-models, too... this is really bothering. I gave up cleaning the m-file and so I am not working with the matalblivelink right now. Did comsol support already reply? Is there solution for that issue or do we all have to wait for comsol to fix it? Best regards, Oliver

Posted: 1 decade ago May 18, 2011, 3:20 a.m. EDT
I keep getting this error message, or similar errors, when resetting history as well. It's one of my biggest grievances with Comsol 4.

I don't even know why I would need the history at all. For all I care, Comsol shouldn't remember it in the first place so I get a clean .java or .m file whenever I need it. I'm interested in my model's state, not its history. After all, the new Comsol 4 model tree lends itself perfectly to an internal XML-type data structure. I could be wrong about this, but it seems that, internally, Comsol uses this linear Java or Matlab code to recreate the model object tree every time from scratch. Then, to clean up this mess, it takes a sophisticated algorithm, which obviously still has a lot of bugs. To me, this seems like a major design flaw.

These errors pop up all over the place, no matter which module or whatever the geometry's dimension. I once sent a model file to Comsol support and they "fixed" it, saying there is a bug in Comsol 4.1 (whenever you have a workplane and the view is anything but the standard view) that will be fixed in 4.2. Of course, contacting support every time this happens is not a solution for me as I cannot afford to wait 24 hours for them to fix my file.

What I do now is "reset history" as often as possible. Once it fails, I delete the last few nodes I created until it works again, then recreate those nodes. This has worked for me... so far.

Of course, if you never export your model as an .m or .java file, you may just not bother with this. However, if you ever plan on compiling your model with the Java compiler, you should know that Java has a bytecode limit of 64 kB per class method. This is a limit you easily reach with a cluttered history, and cleaning up the history by hand is an excruciating and error-prone undertaking that I wouldn't recommend even trying. There may be work-arounds for the Java compiler problem, but then again there are many more reasons why you would want the history removed. (I, for one, use it primarily to get access to a domain or boundary index list in a selection. For some reason, such lists can be "pasted" in Comsol 4.1, but they cannot be "copied" from the GUI.)
I keep getting this error message, or similar errors, when resetting history as well. It's one of my biggest grievances with Comsol 4. I don't even know why I would need the history at all. For all I care, Comsol shouldn't remember it in the first place so I get a clean .java or .m file whenever I need it. I'm interested in my model's state, not its history. After all, the new Comsol 4 model tree lends itself perfectly to an internal XML-type data structure. I could be wrong about this, but it seems that, internally, Comsol uses this linear Java or Matlab code to recreate the model object tree every time from scratch. Then, to clean up this mess, it takes a sophisticated algorithm, which obviously still has a lot of bugs. To me, this seems like a major design flaw. These errors pop up all over the place, no matter which module or whatever the geometry's dimension. I once sent a model file to Comsol support and they "fixed" it, saying there is a bug in Comsol 4.1 (whenever you have a workplane and the view is anything but the standard view) that will be fixed in 4.2. Of course, contacting support every time this happens is not a solution for me as I cannot afford to wait 24 hours for them to fix my file. What I do now is "reset history" as often as possible. Once it fails, I delete the last few nodes I created until it works again, then recreate those nodes. This has worked for me... so far. Of course, if you never export your model as an .m or .java file, you may just not bother with this. However, if you ever plan on compiling your model with the Java compiler, you should know that Java has a bytecode limit of 64 kB per class method. This is a limit you easily reach with a cluttered history, and cleaning up the history by hand is an excruciating and error-prone undertaking that I wouldn't recommend even trying. There may be work-arounds for the Java compiler problem, but then again there are many more reasons why you would want the history removed. (I, for one, use it primarily to get access to a domain or boundary index list in a selection. For some reason, such lists can be "pasted" in Comsol 4.1, but they cannot be "copied" from the GUI.)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 18, 2011, 5:26 a.m. EDT
Hi John,

thanks for the infos. I have several workplanes in my 3D-model, which can cause problems.
In 2D-axial mode I never experienced problems while resetting the model history and now I am really used to do studys with matlab. But this issue with 3D-models is a major set back for me.
Thereare even more reasons why I am really looking forward for comsol 4.2. So does anybody know when it will be released?

Best regards,
Oliver
Hi John, thanks for the infos. I have several workplanes in my 3D-model, which can cause problems. In 2D-axial mode I never experienced problems while resetting the model history and now I am really used to do studys with matlab. But this issue with 3D-models is a major set back for me. Thereare even more reasons why I am really looking forward for comsol 4.2. So does anybody know when it will be released? Best regards, Oliver

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 19, 2011, 4:28 p.m. EDT
I had the same problem. Seems my mph model is too complext now to restart. I have to stick with the mph batch process now, instead of running it in matlab (although I love to). So sad...
I had the same problem. Seems my mph model is too complext now to restart. I have to stick with the mph batch process now, instead of running it in matlab (although I love to). So sad...

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 28, 2011, 8:14 p.m. EDT
I think it helps if you reset the history consistently as you update your model. I say this because I have one model that I worked on for a long time but never reset the history on. Now, when I try to reset history, it gives me the Error: Failed to reset properties. On the other (same type of model) I've reset the history a few times because I've built different .m files as I updated it. This one has no problem resetting history and no error message. So I'm inclined to think that the more often you reset history the less likely you are to get that error. I'm not sure how helpful this is since by the time any one gets that Error message, it's too late to follow this advice. However, hopefully these observations will help COMSOL *fingers crossed* eventually fix this problem.
I think it helps if you reset the history consistently as you update your model. I say this because I have one model that I worked on for a long time but never reset the history on. Now, when I try to reset history, it gives me the Error: Failed to reset properties. On the other (same type of model) I've reset the history a few times because I've built different .m files as I updated it. This one has no problem resetting history and no error message. So I'm inclined to think that the more often you reset history the less likely you are to get that error. I'm not sure how helpful this is since by the time any one gets that Error message, it's too late to follow this advice. However, hopefully these observations will help COMSOL *fingers crossed* eventually fix this problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 29, 2011, 12:53 a.m. EDT
Hi

I get these error sometimes too, specially when I have fiddled a lot with the model, mostly I end up rewriting it from scratch, its quicker and safer in my view

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I get these error sometimes too, specially when I have fiddled a lot with the model, mostly I end up rewriting it from scratch, its quicker and safer in my view -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.