Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

geophysic electric survey

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

first of all excuse my bad english,
I want to know how can i use comsol for 3d resistivity modeling for layered earth (electrical survey or electric trolling)

thanks

5 Replies Last Post Dec 11, 2010, 4:59 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 10, 2010, 11:30 a.m. EST
Hi

if you have a demo version or a geophysical module you should open the model builder and run the examples under geophysics to learn the best way to use COMSOL for such models. I'm not sure if you find exactly your demand in there but you will find simlilar ones to allow you to learn how tu use the tool, then you can

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a demo version or a geophysical module you should open the model builder and run the examples under geophysics to learn the best way to use COMSOL for such models. I'm not sure if you find exactly your demand in there but you will find simlilar ones to allow you to learn how tu use the tool, then you can -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 10, 2010, 3:01 p.m. EST
Thanks,
What I want to do is three-dimensional reconstruction of resistivity structures on the basis
of direct current resistivity measurements (electric trolling) using FEM as comsol is a software based on FEM so I am asking how to use comsol and if there is a specific module for doing that.
Thanks, What I want to do is three-dimensional reconstruction of resistivity structures on the basis of direct current resistivity measurements (electric trolling) using FEM as comsol is a software based on FEM so I am asking how to use comsol and if there is a specific module for doing that.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 10, 2010, 11:48 p.m. EST
The easiest way to do that, is to use the AC/DC module-->statics, electric--> concuctive media dc.
The easiest way to do that, is to use the AC/DC module-->statics, electric--> concuctive media dc.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2010, 4:42 a.m. EST
thank you very much
thank you very much

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2010, 4:59 a.m. EST
Hi

one suggestion, if you are beginning with COMSOL, start in 2D, then do a 3D, there are already many things to learn and a 2D model solves some 2-3 times quicker, and is much better to start with

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi one suggestion, if you are beginning with COMSOL, start in 2D, then do a 3D, there are already many things to learn and a 2D model solves some 2-3 times quicker, and is much better to start with -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.