Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Steel Solidification Through Caster Copper Tube

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am attempting to model the copper tube and water jacket for a steel making application. The liquid steel passes through the copper tube which is cooled by a water jacket. The water cools the tube (12 m/s), the steel solidifies and creates a shell inside the tube with the liquid steel core in the middle etc. The heat transfer is fairly complex in this application due to several variables, the air gap, the mushy zone, etc. But I am going to start with a simple model and work through it.

Instead of starting from scratch, has anyone done this or working on something similar maybe we can collaborate and work together on it.

Kamal El-Rassi
kelrassi@gerdauameristeel.com
905 718 0402
Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2010, 1:28 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 25, 2010, 4:24 a.m. EST
Hi Kamal
I am starting a similar project, for aluminum solidification in a gravity direct-chill caster and I suppose much will be in common. I am reading now on the subject and would be glad to share code as it develops - if I understand correctly the tough part will be the 'mushy zone' - perhaps it can be simply modelled as a liquid with higher viscosity than the 'real' liquid metal. also we may need to use the 'moving mesh' which I have never done before.
Hi Kamal I am starting a similar project, for aluminum solidification in a gravity direct-chill caster and I suppose much will be in common. I am reading now on the subject and would be glad to share code as it develops - if I understand correctly the tough part will be the 'mushy zone' - perhaps it can be simply modelled as a liquid with higher viscosity than the 'real' liquid metal. also we may need to use the 'moving mesh' which I have never done before.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2010, 9:31 p.m. EST
Sounds great.
There is a pdf file and and .mph file in the library, it is about continuous casting.

www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/382/

I am using Femlab 3.1 and can't open the file, although it would be helpful to see how they filled in the physics sections. If you can open it this will give us a good start in the right direction.

Although I am reading material from professor Brian Thomas, and I am going to follow his equations to start.
Sounds great. There is a pdf file and and .mph file in the library, it is about continuous casting. http://www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/382/ I am using Femlab 3.1 and can't open the file, although it would be helpful to see how they filled in the physics sections. If you can open it this will give us a good start in the right direction. Although I am reading material from professor Brian Thomas, and I am going to follow his equations to start.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2010, 1:28 a.m. EST
Try opening the example and then saving as .m file - this worked for me using v3.5 but I attach the file in any case
Try opening the example and then saving as .m file - this worked for me using v3.5 but I attach the file in any case

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.