Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer across unmeshed gap

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Problem:
a 2d filled circle material A surrounded by a gap and then that is surrounded by another material material B.

Material A is heat generating I would like to remove the heat from the edge of material A and use it as a value to heat the inner edge of material B, i have these edges as identity pairs so i can know the gap thickness as this is used to modify the edge to edge energy transfer.

I am not sure how to implement this, but i do not want to mesh the gap for other reasons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies Last Post Oct 10, 2009, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 9, 2009, 9:16 a.m. EDT
Hi

I find it difficult to follow what you are trying to do, I would understand that the "gap" is of some material, or vacuum, hence there should be some real physical properties that you can set and work with 3 "materials".

But you can also integrated the temperature form the inner material boundary and distribute it over another boundary. For that I would suggest to use the integration boundary variables.

There is an example in the COMSOL documentation where they link the temperature of one wall to another, it uses a similar approach. Unfortunately I could not find it back, there are so many books to pass through.

Good luck
Ivar

Hi I find it difficult to follow what you are trying to do, I would understand that the "gap" is of some material, or vacuum, hence there should be some real physical properties that you can set and work with 3 "materials". But you can also integrated the temperature form the inner material boundary and distribute it over another boundary. For that I would suggest to use the integration boundary variables. There is an example in the COMSOL documentation where they link the temperature of one wall to another, it uses a similar approach. Unfortunately I could not find it back, there are so many books to pass through. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 9, 2009, 10:19 a.m. EDT
I am trying to avoid meshing the gap as the gap would eventually close, i was hoping to hide the gap in the linking of the two walls.
I am trying to avoid meshing the gap as the gap would eventually close, i was hoping to hide the gap in the linking of the two walls.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2009, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Hi

Well I would start by studying the "GUIDE.PDF" COMSOL user guide, section "Using Coupling Variables"
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Well I would start by studying the "GUIDE.PDF" COMSOL user guide, section "Using Coupling Variables" Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.